Creativity Abounds at Igloo Letterpress
What’s new at Igloo Letterpress? We’re so glad you asked! It’s been nearly a year since the studio moved to its new location in Old Worthington, and Igloo owner Allison Chapman and her crew are celebrating with a host of creative classes you're sure to love.
From traditional letterpress to bookbinding, leather works, calligraphy and kids classes, folks of all ages can join the fun at Igloo. Now that they've relocated to a much larger space, the lineup of classes continues to expand.
“We’re offering a lot of really cool classes right now,” said Beth Dekker, project manager. “In addition to our fabulous instructors, we’re excited to share our space with several local artists and to introduce the community to new art forms.”
Here’s a look at a few classes we can’t wait to try:
· Pumpkin Spice Journal – Sounds delicious, doesn't it? This is a chance to create an autumnal themed journal. With pumpkin spiced latte in hand, you’ll personalize your journal with options like embossed covers, edge painting, ribbon bookmarks and pockets.
· Introduction to Calligraphy – If you haven’t noticed, calligraphy is all the rage these days. Join Lindsey Buck of The Hive Studio for an in-depth look at this beautiful writing style. In this beginner class, you’ll learn the basics of holding the pen and nib, dipping ink and writing letters. In addition to instruction, each participant will receive a calligraphy kit to continue practicing at home. At the end of the class, Chapman will teach you how to transform your creation into a custom letterpress print.
· Rainbow Book – Talk about a colorful class! Show up dressed in your favorite hue and get ready to create a vibrant, 112-page, hand-sewn book that's perfect for journaling.
· Leather 101 with Branch Line Leather Co. – Loving leather lately? This is the class for you. You’ll learn where leather comes from, how it’s made and where to buy it. You’ll then move on to the make-and-take portion of the class where you’ll create two leather goods to keep or give away as gifts.
· Hardcover Sketchbook – There’s nothing like a blank, crisp canvas that's ready for watercolor. You’ll walk away from this bookbinding class with a gorgeous, hardcover book, complete with 140# cover weight watercolor paper. Participants will choose their own material for the book, fold and hole punch the paper and use a needle and thread to sew the binding.
Igloo Letterpress is located at 661 High St. To learn more about their classes, visit www.iglooletterpress.com or like them on Facebook. As an added bonus, all classes are 15 percent off until the end of October—so sign up today!