Worthington Community Center: Join the Fun
It's the middle of winter, and you may be experiencing a case of cabin fever. Lucky for you, the city of Worthington has the perfect antidote--the Worthington Community Center. Operated by the Worthington Parks & Recreation Department, this comprehensive fitness and aquatics facility offers a wide selection of fitness opportunities, art programs, and entertainment options for everyone. Here's a closer look:
- Aquatics: The facility boasts two indoor pools, including a leisure pool with a giant slide, children's slide and lazy river, and a fitness pool for lap swimming. Aquatics classes include aerobics and water yoga.
- Fitness: The facility includes both cardio and free weight equipment, personal training and a 1/12-mile walking track.
- Gyms: Two gymnasiums make it possible to offer a variety of programs for all ages, including volleyball, basketball and softball leagues.
- Group Fitness Classes: Join a group Zumba, spinning or boot camp class, conveniently offered at different times of the day.
- Art Program: Various art classes are offered for children through adults, including ceramics, stained glass, scrapbooking and jewelry making, to name a few.
- Childcare: If you want to work out in peace--without the kids at your feet--your children will be entertained in the childcare room.
Membership includes the aquatics facility, fitness facility, and access to the locker rooms. Everything else is offered a la carte. So you don't need to be a member to participate in a Zumba class or personal training, for instance. Worthington residents (those who pay Worthington property taxes) or people who work for a Worthington-based company are eligible for a membership discount; however, membership is open to anyone. Here are the membership options:
- Annual: Members can pay a one-time annual fee or authorize a monthly debit from their bank account.
- Monthly: Great for college students, frequent travelers, or individuals who need an inclement weather alternative, this membership option lets you choose your months.
- Youth: Available for children ages 3 to 13, this membership is a great choice if your kids aren't interested in the fitness facility.
- Daily: Pay for the day.
- Senior: Discounted rates are available for individuals 60 years and older.
Held on Friday evenings, Family Nights are a great cure for cabin fever and a wonderful opportunity to enjoy all the building has to offer--at no cost. This includes access to the arts and the gyms, and on some nights, swimming is available for $3. All children must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Parents, mark your calendars for the Birthday Party Bonanza on January 25, 2013. This one-stop shop to help you plan your child's birthday party includes a host of community vendors offering everything from cakes and invitations to a lineup of entertainers.
Hours and Contact Information
To learn about future events, class information, and building updates at the Community Center, "like" us on Facebook. Located at 345 E. Wilson Bridge Road, the Worthington Community Center hours are:
Monday - Friday 5:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Sunday 10 a.m.
to 6 p.m.
For more information, visit: www.worthington.org or call 614.436.2743.